A healthy homemade recipe for the classic frozen dessert! Raw Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches that are also gluten-free, top 8 allergy-free, and paleo! A simple chewy tigernut flour and sunflower butter chocolate chip cookie dough, sandwiching banana nice cream!
Who here loves a good ice cream sandwich? I know I’m raising my hand! Far, far too long since I’d had one too. Summer could not be over before I made some ice cream sandwiches. We did sundaes, fudgsicles, and popsicles this year; I was not about to neglect the ultimate “sandwich”. Now it depends on who you ask, but when “ice cream sandwich” comes to mind you either think of a chocolate chip cookie with ice cream (i.e. the “chipwich“) or, my humble childhood favorite, the soft brownie wafer/bar and fake vanilla ice cream (i.e. these bad-boys wrapped in that glorious white paper and preferably generic store-brand).
Nothing will ever beat those…the best. I can still remember unwrapping those ice cream sandwiches, delicately pealing off the paper and revealing the somewhat gooey ice cream that was exposed on the sides to the paper (and licking the excess ice cream off said paper). I can even still remember the fake soft chocolate bar and fake vanilla ice cream taste…one in a million. That, my friends, was a quality childhood delicacy!
Sadly, those store-brand paper-wrapped bars will never grace my tastebuds again, but at least there’s always the memories. The memories and some gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, and so on, substitutes! I have a mental list in my head of “foods to eat one more time before you die”. I’m talking about all my old childhood favorites when I was able to eat any and every thing! I was talking to my mom about this the other day and she has a few she wouldn’t mind having one more time! This list is super long though, but those ice cream sandwiches are 100% on that list!
One day I’ll have to make a post with that list. And it’s not just “bagel, pasta, pizza”. It is a super specific list, from brand/store to the spread lines of peanut butter on a PBJ. There is no fooling around when it comes to this list! Since this is just a “hypothetical wish-list” right now, we have some REAL ice cream sandwiches to get too! These are super easy, no cooking or baking required, just some freeze time! The cookie bar is made with grain-free tigernut flour, sunflower seed butter, and a nice little dose of mini chocolate chips. The ice cream is that trendy “nice cream” made from bananas. I hate the term “nice cream” and I’m not even fond of bananas, but I wanted to make these with homemade ice cream and the easiest homemade ice cream to make is with frozen bananas. I bit the bullet and sucked up my pride. Good thing, because these turned out to be one TASTY combo!
Raw Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cookie Bar Dough:
- 2 Cups Tigernut Flour
- ⅓ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ¼ Cup Sunflower Seed Butter
- ¼ Cup Erythritol
- 2 TB Mini Chocolate Chips
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Ice Cream:
- 3 Small Bananas (cut into chunks, frozen ahead of time)
- ⅓ Unsweetened Flax Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 TB Sunflower Seed Butter
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, combine all the cookie dough ingredients and mix/knead to combine with your hands.
- Roll the dough out on a flat surface, either between sheets of parchment paper or Silpats, to about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 10 rectangles and freeze them on a baking sheet for 1-2 hours.
- To make the ice cream, simply blend all ice cream ingredients together in a food processor until thick and creamy.
- Remove the cookie dough slices from the freezer and place about 2 tablespoons of the ice cream on 5 of the slices, placing the other 5 on top to make 5 sandwiches total.
- Freeze the sandwiches for about 2-3 hours before consuming.
Drooling, right? It is such a good combo! The sweet tigernut flour with the sunflower butter paired with that cinnamony banana ice cream…bingo! So have no fear, you can still have a fantastic ice cream sandwich option this summer. It may not be fake and wrapped in paper (although I should look for some of that specific paper), but they win in other categories. I’m just glad we can all enjoy them. “Free” for all!
So tell me:
+ Are you a chipwich person or a soft chocolate bar ice cream sandwich kind of person?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell