A healthy & easy recipe for Black Bean Chicken & Vegetables that’s gluten-free and allergy-free. A homemade black bean sauce, Asian vegetables, and chicken tenders guarantee a delicious crowd-pleasing weeknight dinner!
One of my favorite Chinese take-out orders used to be the chicken and veggies with that delicious black bean sauce. Of course, those “black beans” were soy beans, fermented soy beans, meaning a big no-no to that dish. Dreams shattered…but not quite! There’s always a way around these little food allergy dilemmas. Just a little swap with this, replacement with that, and presto! A healthy, gluten-free, soy-free, top 8 allergy-free black bean chicken and vegetable recipe!
This is a super old recipe I dug out of the “to-post” folder, but so delicious nonetheless! You can’t go wrong with “fake-out take-out“! Protein, carbs, veggies; it’s a meal in one and super quick to whip up on a weeknight without having to call the local Chinese food restaurant. You know what kills me most about take-out? It’s not the nutrition, food allergies and cross-contamination, but the price! I have no idea how we used to order Chinese or pizza every weekend growing up in a house of four. Just this past New Years Eve, my mom, brother, and I ordered our traditional take-out (approved allergy-friendly) and it was upwards of $40. Ah!
It make taste good and it’s “easy”, but is it ever worth the money? To me, no, not at all. I am all about home-cooked meals everyday of the week. I grocery shop once a week, make all my meals, use everything up, and feel good about the money I spent to nourish myself and family. Sure there’s a time and a place, like our New Year’s Eve tradition of Chinese, but all in all, if you want to save money and spend effectively on your food…COOK AT HOME!
Black Bean Chicken & Vegetables
- 1 LB Skinless Chicken Tenders
- Black Bean Sauce:
- 1 15oz Can No-Salt Added Black Beans
- 2 TB Coconut Aminos
- 1 TB Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- ½ Tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ Tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- 1½ Cups Chopped Broccoli
- ½ Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Cup Sliced White Mushrooms
- ½ Cup Sliced Water Chestnuts
- ¼ Cup Chopped Scallions
- 5 Baby Corns (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, combine 1 cup of the black beans (place the rest of the beans to the side), all the bean liquid from the can, and the rest of the black bean sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Prepare all your veggies, add the rest of the black beans you did not use in the sauce, and combine everything in a bowl along with the blended sauce.
- Grease a baking dish and place your chicken tenders in it. Pour in the veggie and sauce mixture and then bake the dish in the oven for 25 minutes, loosely covered with foil.
Dinner is served and money is saved! You can eat this as is for a delicious and easy lunch at work or serve it over rice for a fantastic weeknight dinner. You know dishes like these make for some killer leftovers! Meal prep away my frugal friends!
So tell me:
+ How often do you eat out or order in? For me, never. The rest of my family…that’s a different story!
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell