The sweet and nutty classic Southern dessert now with a gluten-free and vegan recipe! Gluten-Free Hummingbird Loaf Cake topped with a delicious dairy-free cream cheese frosting and packed with pecans, banana, and pineapple!
Have you ever had some Hummingbird? Haha, don’t be silly, you know what I mean 😉 I had never had this classic Springtime Southern American cake until last month. I felt like carrot cake, morning glory cakes, and hummingbird cake all fall in that same sweet filled breakfasty cake category. This hefty loaf cake is packed with banana, pineapple, pecans, sweet and spice, and of course a killer cream cheese frosting (essential, again, to that trio!)
I have some more food history fun facts for you. The Hummingbird Cake was first created in Jamaica (they also call is Doctor Bird Cake) in honor of their national bird, the Hummingbird! Then in the last 1970s the recipe crept it’s way up to the Southern States of the US and it took off! It grew popular through various press and media publications and the rest is some sweet delicious history! Obviously it took even longer to make its way up to MY taste buds, but alas, it was a glorious first experience!
I do love the sweet nutty taste of the raw pecans with the tang of the pineapple and creamy sweetness of the banana. Such a great combo, but really over the top with that dairy-free vegan cream cheese frosting I made! This could totally pass of an indulgent weekend breakfast cake or a dessert with a nice piping hot mug of coffee! Right after I baked this hummingbird loaf cake, I texted my mom that I’d need her to be my taste-tester. To my surprise, she had no idea what a hummingbird cake was either. I got to bake and teach that weekend…perfect way to feel accomplished…and be reworded with some gluten-free hummingbird loaf cake!
Gluten-Free Hummingbird Loaf Cake (Vegan)
- Cake Batter:
- 2 Cups Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 TB Psyllium Husk Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Ripe Bananas (mashed, about ½ cup)
- ½ Cup Crushed Pineapple in Juice
- ½ Cup Crushed Raw Pecans (plus more for topping)
- ½ Cup "Brown Sugar" (mix ½ Cup Erythritol + 2 Tsp Molasses)
- ¼ Cup Erythritol
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz Vegan Cream Cheese (I like Daiya or Kite Hill)
- ½ Cup Powdered Erythritol
- ¼ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the cake batter ingredients until combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8x4 loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, remove, and let the loaf cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Lightly pour the frosting over the top of the loaf cake and sprinkle on more crushed pecans if desired.
So cozy! Definitely a fantastic weekend baking project to try out if you’ve never had anything Hummingbird! I love when a random assortment of flavors work so perfectly with each other! And don’t worry, no Hummingbirds were harmed in the baking of this loaf cake 😉
So tell me:
+ Have you ever had Hummingbird Cake? It’s kind of like a banana bread 2.0!
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell