It’s time to give that classic holiday side dish recipe a healthy makeover! This homemade Gluten-Free & Vegan Green Bean Casserole is top-8 allergy-free, has a crunchy baked onion topping, and creamy coconut milk and mushroom base!
Since you know I ALWAYS have a confession in the beginning of posts, there is a major one to divulge today. I NEVER had green bean casserole. You know, the decadent canned green beans, condensed cream of mushroom soup, french fried onions, and possible cheddar cheese added on top. The most unhealthy holiday side dish posing as a “vegetable”. Yea, I never had it, nor did my family ever serve it during the holidays (hence, why I’ve never tried it).
Failing on such an iconic American classic? How could I! But since that ship has sailed…far, far away, I needed to come up with a remedy and make my own healthy, gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-free version. This recipe ended up being a delicious smelling labor of love and one that is perfect for the allergy conscious Thanksgiving, Christmas, or other holiday table. You’ll be getting a big dose of good for your green beans, SO much flavor, and a secret protein punch.
Whenever I’m not sure how to start a recipe, I always take out the cast iron skillet. I know this is a green bean “casserole”, but I like to keep things rustic and utilize that cast iron magic whenever I can! But I also have a secret ingredient up my sleeve to use. You know I’ll never actually FRY something in oil…that’s just deep-fried sadness. BUT, I will “bake-fry” to get that iconic crispy coating on foods we love. To achieve those classic “fried” onions to top the green bean casserole, I found the best, most tasty solution for you!
Enter…MOZAICS Organic Popped Veggie & Potato Chips! You heard me right! These light and crisp chips are made with organic green and yellow peas, potato and rice flour, and black beans! They’re like little popped triangles of veggie protein and PERFECT for easily crushing up and coating some thinly sliced onion for this here green bean casserole! This Strength and Sunshine version of the green bean casserole can actually get a signed bill of health. From fresh green beans, onions, popped veggie chips, coconut milk, mushrooms, and a few spices…we can reclaim our American side dish!
Now that I know just how delicious a green bean casserole tastes (and smells), I think I found a new traditional dish for the family holiday table! No dairy, eggs, soy, gluten, nuts. No oil, sugars, processed nonsense. Just good, delicious, veggies and fun additions that are kind of secretly healthy and better yet, super kid-friendly too! So inform your holiday guests to push aside grandma’s ‘ole green bean casserole and make room on the table for THIS beauty!
Healthy Gluten-Free + Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- "Fried" Onions:
- 1 Large Vidalia Onion (thinly sliced rounds)
- 2 (3.5oz) Bags Sea Salt Mozaics Popped Chips (finely crushed)
- Green Bean Portion:
- 5 Cups Roughly Chopped Fresh Green Beans
- 2 Cans (800mL) Lite Coconut Milk
- 1½ Cups Chopped White Mushrooms
- 2 TB Corn Starch (or Arrowroot)
- 1 TB Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss the thinly sliced onions in a large bowl with the 2 bags of crushed chips.
- Spread this mixture evenly on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes to crisp. Remove and turn the oven to 450°F.
- In a large pot, bring the chopped green beans and coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove 2 cups of the coconut milk liquid before adding the rest of the ingredients, starting with the chopped mushrooms and mix well.
- Cook everything for 5 more minutes before transferring to a large cast iron skillet.
- Top the green bean and mushroom soup mixture with the crispy onions and crushed chips before baking the entire skillet in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
This smelled SO good while it was cooking; each component brought more and more delicious aroma to the kitchen! I was dieing to give it a try once all was said and done. No disappointments here and I’m glad to say it got the approval of the picky family as well! From the delicious Mozaics are the super star “cover model”, to the green beans cooked in that makeshift mushroom “soup”…It was just so randomly delicious! I’m a fan…All hail the NEW healthy green bean casserole! Make sure to cook this one up for the holidays this year! You will please some hungry bellies all around!
*If you buy some Mozaics through Amazon, you can use my Amazon coupon code: STRSUN25 for 25% off!*
So tell me:
+ Does your family serve the classic American green bean casserole?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell * This post is sponsored by Deliciousness, the makers of Mozaics Organic Popped Chips. I am proud to be partnering with them and sharing the “deliciousness”!