Who wouldn’t want a healthier but equally delicious version of this breakfast and snack time classic? Homemade Gluten-Free Strawberry Poptarts! Allergy-free and vegan without the processed sugars and fats! A recipe that’s fun to make and of course, EAT!
I don’t know about you, but Poptarts were one of the greatest baked-pockets-of-joy from childhood. One of those treats that was a right of passage in the younger years. The ever coveted foiled wrapped frosted tarts (the ones that were unfrosted…why bother?), 2 in a pack (but the serving size was only 1???), and the definition of sweet delicious processed food and artificial everything!
My favorite were of course, the classic frosted strawberry ones (i.e. why I made this recipe), but I also had a soft spot of the frosted hot fudge sundae ones. I always hated the s’mores ones though; they were so dry since the pastry part was not the classic dough, but supposedly graham cracker. Now they have crazy soda flavors and Dunkin’ Donuts limited edition ones…crazy stuff!
Still, the frosted strawberry will always hold a near and dear place in my sad gluten-free heart. However, let’s get this straight. NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER toasted. ICK! My poptart preference was straight from the foil wrapper. Toasting the in the toaster was like eating something out of the garbage. For the frosted hot fudge sundae ones though, I do remember loving them frozen from the freezer, “ice cream style”.
I have strong poptart feeling, that’s for sure! Now, on to the fact that poptarts are marketed as breakfast. That’s…scary. Growing up my mom would gave me a poptart as a dessert in my school packed lunch. Especially with these new soda flavored poptarts; why would you even want to eat that for breakfast? However, as a college kid, I can tell you on numerous occasion, college kids drink soda for breakfast :/ Fear not, I solved this breakfast/dessert conundrum with this homemade gluten-free recipe!
These are super fun to make. Mixing and rolling out the dough, cutting the squares, spooning in the strawberry jam, closing the poptart with a top layer of dough, making the form creases to close, baking, then topping with that lovely frosting and rainbow sprinkles! Below you’ll see that this strawberry poptart recipe is 100% breakfast treat approved as well as kid, mom, and “college kid” approved too! O, and of course, gluten-free, allergy-free, and vegan so just about everyone can enjoy these tarts of strawberry joy!
Homemade Gluten-Free Strawberry Poptarts (Allergy-Free, Vegan)
- Pastry Dough:
- 1¼ Cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1¼ Cup Millet Flour
- ⅓ Cup Erythritol
- ¼ Cup Arrowroot Starch
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Mashed Ripe Banana
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tsp Butter Emulsion
- About 6 TB Strawberry Jam (1 TB each poptart)
- ⅓ Cup Powdered Erythritol
- 2 TB Water
- 1 Tsp Coconut Oil
- Allergy-Free Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, mix together all the dough ingredients and knead with your hands.
- Place the dough on a greased Silpat and roll it out to about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a pastry or pizza cutter, cut out 12 long rectangles and remove excess dough.
- Place 1 TB of the strawberry jam in the center of 6 of the rectangles and then layer on an unused rectangle on top of each.
- Close the poptarts around the edges using the back of a fork to seal.
- Place the Silpat on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, simply mix together the powdered erythritol, water, and coconut oil to combine.
- Once the poptarts have baked and cooled, pour on some of the glaze, using a spoon, to the tops of each and then sprinkle on some sprinkles!
Mind-blowing…right? What’s even more mind-blowing (or not so mind-blowing) is that they taste spot on! I was all smiles after I made these poptarts! Childhood could once again be realized! I suggest these be your next ultra-fun and crafty weekend baking project. Enlist the kiddos (or not) and bake up some homemade gluten-free strawberry poptarts!
So tell me:
+ What was/is your favorite poptart flavor?
+ Untoasted, toasted, or frozen?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell