Rustic gluten-free cinnamon buns that are vegan, oil-free, sugar-free, nut-free, and no yeast! Lovingly made right in a cast iron skillet for extra flavor and charm. A breakfast or brunch recipe that will leave you feeling warm and cozy!
You are in for a cinnamon treat! These beauties were made Christmas Day 2015. The day I received my Majestic Beauty! (i.e. The stand mixer!) And the picture below was my loving work and creativity at play in all it’s messy glory!
You know it was all worth it! Lucky for you, I’ve done the testing and re-testing and hopefully (unless you get super into it) you’re kitchen will come out much cleaner than this!
I was in pure and utter captivated bliss while making these cinnamon buns. No distractions, podcast playing, I took over the kitchen and got in the zone! How else could I have broken in the Majestic Beauty? The first recipe had to be a standout! And yes, of course, cinnamon buns/rolls had been on that recipe bucket list of mine for centuries!
You’d think I’d have the perfect recipe set beforehand since I’s been wanting to make these forever. That was not the case! I went in (dove in!) to this without a clear plan. I was grabbing ingredients, testing ratios, and as per the photo above, making a mess of my kitchen! These was flour and applesauce…everywhere! The Majestic Beauty was for sure broken in by the end!
Now, I’m calling these cinnamon buns and not rolls, since they’re more bun-looking than roll to me. However, you still do roll the dough! They just came out super rustic. The term is interchangeable anyway, but I like the ring of cinnamon buns much better!
You know why I think these are standouts in the cinnamon bun/roll world? Because they’re allergy-free! And free of about everything else too! No sugar (of course), no oil, no yeast (I was too scared to even go there!). As long as you have flour and applesauce….you can make these cinnamon buns RIGHT NOW!
Okay, and they’re super rustic too 😉 Not only did I use the Majestic Beauty, but I used THE PAN as well! The bottoms got nice and browned and the 6-8 buns you make fit perfectly in the skillet. The flavor and magic that the cast iron gives to everything you but in it, did not disappoint with these buns either!
I think I have Cinnabon beat here! Unless they come out with a free-from and healthy cinnamon roll, I have nothing else to say! But o, do I love that Cinnabon smell in the malls or many rest stops those counters take up shop! The tell-tale cinnamon love smell of a Cinnabon shop…mouth-watering! Guess what? We can just create that smell right here, right now!
Rustic Gluten-Free Cinnamon Buns
- 2½ Cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Millet Flour
- ¼ Cup Buckwheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Arrowroot Starch
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Psyllium Husk Powder
- 2 TB Granular Erythritol
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1¼ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1½ TB Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tsp Butter Extract
- ⅓ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 TB Granular Erythritol
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 3 TB Powdered Erythritol
- 1 TB Unsweetened Almond Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, let sit for 5-10 minutes to create "buttermilk".
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine all dry batter ingredients and mix together. Then add in the "buttermilk" and extracts. Mix again until sticky batter is formed.
- Scoop and roll the dough out on a well floured flat surface (I used my Silpat and made the dough about that size and ¼ inch thick).
- Mix together the applesauce filling in a small bowl and then coat the rolled out dough with the filling.
- Now, roll the coated dough into a cylinder (this can get messy), then cut into 6-8 rolls/buns.
- Place the rolls flat side down in a well greased cast iron skillet. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Mix together the drizzle ingredients and drizzle over the tops of the buns once cooled.
Don’t worry, these aren’t only for Christmas Day, these make a fabulous weekend baking project any time of year and would be perfect for Mother’s Day this weekend! When you make homemade rustic gluten-free cinnamon buns, these is no denying the love and comfort that will be seeping through the house (not to mention the most glorious smell!) That may be my more favorite part of the entire cinnamon bun experience….the smell! I mean, come on now! You know you’ll be having a hard time drooling all other while you wait for these babies to bake!
So tell me:
+ Have you ever made homemade cinnamon buns/rolls?
+ Okay…what do you call them? Bun or Roll? BUNS!
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell