A secret ingredient to easily sneak in more veggies than you thought possible in a delicious breakfast recipe! Gluten-free & vegan carrot cake waffles you can feel good about making, any day of the week!
Are you scared? What could the “secret ingredient” possibly be?
Well there is no need to be anxious! This “secret ingredient” is more of a lazy girl’s short-cut. Something you may feel funny about buying if you don’t have a baby living in your house.
Well, I was strolling through the grocery a few weeks ago and was on my usual route when I stopped myself and peered down an aisle I usually just skip. Instead of continuing on my route, I turned down the aisle and happened upon a new recipe idea, just like that! In front of me lay the ever stocked wall of baby food! Yes, baby food! I did a quick scan and there it was…jarred sweet carrot puree! (It’s just carrots and water…in a jar!)
I quickly grabbed a few of the little half cup jars and by a few, I mean like ten. Recipe ideas fulfilled by these simple 55 cent jars of just a simple puree perfect for my experimentations. Since I know veggie puree works wonders in vegan pancakes and waffles, I knew what I would be trying for breakfast the next morning…
And since who has time to boil and puree carrots while they’re trying to get ready for the day? That’s where this “lazy kitchen hack” comes in. As long as you have a great waffle iron and you’re able to open a baby food jar, you are good to go!
“Secret Ingredient” Carrot Cake Waffles
- ⅓ Cup All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Ginger
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ Cup of Sweet Carrot Puree
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Scant ⅓ Cup Water
- Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Protein Frosting (1 TB Vanilla Protein Powder + 2-3 TB Water)
- Shredded Carrots
- Lightly oil and preheat your waffle iron.
- In bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk together with a fork.
- Then add all wet ingredients and stir to combine until there are no clumps.
- Pour the batter in the preheated waffle iron, smooth it out and let the iron do its thing!
- Top with more cinnamon, vanilla protein frosting, shredded carrots, and unsweetened shredded coconut!
These definitely don’t taste like baby food 😉 They taste like…carrot cake…for breakfast! And they are so much easier then whipping out the food processor, blender, or grater to get your carrots breakfast ready! They also freeze well so you can make it even easier on yourself any morning!
So tell me:
+ Any favorite secret ingredients or short-cut ingredients?
+ Do you ever cook with baby food?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell