Smooth, creamy, and sweet Slow Cooker Pear Butter that’s so simple to make! Your favorite combination of pears cooked down in the crock-pot for a perfectly sweet and aromatic spread recipe that’s gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and allergy-free!
I gave you apple butter, pumpkin butter, and I promised you some pear butter, so I had to deliver before season’s end! I would have posted sooner, but the holidays got in the way and it had to be gingerbread and cookie everything! But winter is prime time for pears so we’re going with it now! Pears are one of my favorite fruits and I’ve always had a lover affair with pear butter.
Here’s the thing. I like my pears to be in a very specific state for prime eating pleasure. They need to be unripe, sweet, but still crunchy and not soft at all. The best type of pears for this are Bosc (which are obviously my favorite). I buy the hardest ones at the grocery and right when I get home, place them in the fridge until I’m ready to eat them that week. This way, they don’t get ripe and turn soft during the interim. A picky pear eater? Maybe, but I’ll eat any type. From good ‘ole Bartlett, which I grew up with, to red or green Anju (my second favorite). That’s why for this pear butter I used a combo of half Bosc and half green Anju.
With this magically easy slow cooker pear butter, you can use any combination of pears, but low-and-behold, they do have to be mostly ripe before you put them in the slow cooker! Shocker! You want your pear butter to be sweet and to easily cook down, so, soft and ripe they must be! From that state, you’re just cubing them up, and adding in some spices and sweetener to make it dark and dreamy. Then let the slow cooker do all the heavy lifting for you. Essentially, this recipe is exactly the same method as the apple butter, but a tad quicker in run-time.
Slow Cooker Pear Butter
- Place the cubed pears in a greased large slow cooker and put the rest of the ingredients right on top of the pears.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, no mixing required at this time.
- After 4 hours, remove the lid and mash the pears a bit before carefully transferring into a large blender. Blend the mixture until completely smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the mixture back into the slow cooker with the cover slightly ajar and cook on high for another 3-4 hours until thick, mixing every 30 minutes or so. (It thickens more after cooking as it cools).
- Allow it to cool a bit before storing in glass jars and refrigerating for 3-4 weeks.
Stir this dreamy sweet and spiced slow cooker pear butter into oatmeal, porridge, top pancakes, spread it on a sandwich or biscuits, anything your heart and taste buds desire! I was surprised to learn that my mom found the pear butter to be her favorite of the 3 butters. I think my heart will always go to the pumpkin butter, but you really can’t go wrong with any of them! Let the fruit butter trifecta live on!
So tell me:
+ Do you like your pears super ripe or still crunchy and unripe, like me?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell