A quick & easy, 3 minute breakfast recipe that’s warm, healthy, and delicious! A Sweet Cherry Coconut Breakfast Polenta that’s gluten-free, vegan, and top 8 allergy-free! Instant polenta cooked right in coconut milk with added pops of fresh cherries, simple and all in one pot!
I am all about a sweet, warm bowl of hot cereals and porridge in the morning. I eat my fair share of cold cereal and pancakes, but a cozy warm bowl of goodness always sets up the day for success too! Sweetness and carbs are my only requirement in the morning. I’ll save any savory options for dinner (or should I say “brinner”)? Okay, and I also need breakfast quick! When I say it’s time to eat…it’s time to eat!
This recipe is an oldie! Found it lonely in that “to-post” recipe list and had to give it some fresh new life! It’s funny because back when I made this recipe, I wasn’t on the current breakfast grits obsession that I am now. However, this recipe uses polenta, not grits. Polenta is Italian style ground yellow corn and girts are Southern style ground white corn. (I always put turmeric in my white corn grits, so they actually look like polenta…)
Why should you eat polenta for breakfast?
Although some celiacs can get away with certified, purity protocol gluten-free oats, I am not one of them. If I could crush some oatmeal, I would, but I have to keep my gluten-free oat consumption to a minimum and only in the form of baked granolas. Of course, there’s also quinoa flakes, instant buckwheat cereal, and such that are also great, quick, hot cereal options, but I just have a thing for some sweet corn porridge bowls in the morning!
Does this sweet breakfast polenta really take 3 minutes?
Yes! Instant polenta cooks up even quicker than how I make my instant grits in the microwave! Just begin to boil the coconut milk, stir in the polenta, add the chopped cherries, and all the flavors combine and the polenta soaks up all the goodness right before your eyes! Spoon it out into bowls, add some extra chopped cherries, coconut flakes, maybe some coconut butter, and additional cold coconut milk (love the contrast!) and devour!
I’m definitely a fan of adding some healthy fats to these sweet corny porridges I make! In my current breakfast grits I always add some type of nut or seed butter. For this cherry coconut breakfast polenta, it only made sense to stir in a dollop of coconut butter and have the goodness melt right in to the warm polenta! So good! This recipe makes enough for two servings; you can halve it for one or double it for 4! However many mouths you’re feeding in the morning, that’s up tp you!
Sweet Cherry Coconut Breakfast Polenta
- 2 Cups Unsweetened Coconut Milk (plus additional ¼ cup for topping each serving
- ½ Cup Instant Polenta
- ½ Cup Chopped Cherries* (plus additional for topping)
- 2 TB Erythritol (to taste or preferred granulated sweetener)
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 1 TB Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (topping, each bowl)
- 1 TB Coconut Butter (topping, each bowl)
- Bring the 2 cups of coconut milk to a slight boil before stirring in your polenta and then your ½ cup of chopped cherries, vanilla, and sweetener.
- Stir the polenta a few times during the 3 minutes cooking process so nothing sticks.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, remove the pot from the heat and serve the polenta into 2 bowls.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut butter and shredded coconut to each bowl and finally top each bowl with a splash (about ¼ cup for each) of additional cold coconut milk.
If you’ve never tried polenta or grits, sweet and for breakfast, you are about to become addicted! Yummy, cozy, and filling. Quick and easy. Gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-free? Winning, winning, winning! Change up your typical breakfast hot cereal and porridge and give this sweet breakfast polenta a try!
So tell me:
+ What’s your favorite hot cereal/porridge?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell