Irish Potato Candy (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Irish Potato Candy is such a fun and easy treat to make! This vegan version of the old-fashioned candy is completely dairy-free and gluten-free! A no-bake homemade recipe that's just 6 ingredients, full of the classic sweet creamy coconut and cinnamon flavors you love, plus it can be made sugar-free and keto!
- Author: Rebecca Pytell
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 25-30 Candies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American, Irish
Making the Coconut Cream Base:
- In a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the vegan butter and cream cheese until creamed.
- Slowly add in the powdered sweetener, cup by cup, with a low speed until incorporated into the creamed butter and cream cheese.
- Now add in the vanilla extract and shredded coconut. Mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
- If needed, scrape the mixture out of the stand mixer into a large bowl or transfer the bowl you used directly to the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes.
Shaping and Rolling the Candy:
- Set up 3 stations: Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment or wax paper and set aside. Pour the cinnamon out onto another large plate. Then take out the bowl of coconut cream.
- Roll about a tablespoon-sized amount of chilled coconut dough, using your hands, into an oblong potato-like shape. Then roll the coconut ball on the plate of cinnamon until it is completely covered and no white is showing. Place the potato candy on the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the coconut dough is used.
- Keep the potato candy in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
- Storage: The best way to store the finished candy is in the freezer, lightly wrapped in parchment or wax paper, and placed in an airtight freezer container. You can keep them in the freezer for 2-3 months. They can be stored the same way in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. DO NOT store them at room temperature!
- You can use unsweetened cocoa powder in place of cinnamon if you want a darker potato.
Keywords: potato candy, Irish potato candy, vegan potato candy, dairy-free potato candy, coconut candy