There’s some things I think you must do every day (or at least start trying) to do to be happy. I thought about the things I do every day (or try to do) that make my life just a bit more enjoyable, even on the shittiest of days. None of them take much, only a desire to have a little happiness in the everyday. These 10 things, when done on a regular basis, will become a grounding and a foundation that will allow you to feel “okay” even when you’re struggling.
1. Eat Breakfast – I don’t care if you hate breakfast (which is blasphemy!), no one can have a good day if they don’t fuel up. You’ll have major brain fog, empty belly, and under-fueled body. Yo need a nourishing breakfast to set you day in good forward motion! I like a good mix of carbs, fats, and protein, like a bowl of quinoa flakes, some nuts or nut butter, and fruit!
2. Write Something – It can be anything! Even just a line in a journal. Just write something by hand every day. I’m still going strong with my Q&A a day, 5 year journal!
3. Move – You need to move your body every day. That might mean an actual workout, or just some stretching before bed. Maybe even a walk mid-day to clear your head and stimulate your muscles. Your beautiful body was meant to move, not sit hunched over all day in sadness!
4. Hug Someone (even if just yourself!) – I may dare say I’d take a hug over coffee. (Okay…maybe a few hugs). But really, there is nothing like an embrace. Since I don’t have access to loved ones at the moment, I can only hug myself, but that’s okay! Just wrap your arms around your body and squeeze! The human touch is so powerful and instantly makes you feel “okay”. Everyone deserves a hug every day. (If we ever meet, I give you full permission to give me a hug! I LOVE hugs!)
5. Floss Your Teeth – Am I the only one who gets such satisfaction from flossing my teeth? I’ll admit, some days I do for get, but flossing really an essential mood booster for me! Not only will you be making your dentist happy, but you’ll feel good too! There’s nothing like some nice clean teeth! (If you hate flossing, buy a flavor you love! For me, my floss must be cinnamon!)
6. Take 5 Deep Breaths Of Fresh Air – Don’t trap yourself inside all day. Even if just for these 5 breaths, go outside and get some fresh air. Take 5 truly deep filling breaths. Suck in the lovely air to fill up your lungs, let it out, and repeat. Breathing in stale stagnant air all day will make you stale and stagnant. Refresh by breathing outside for a bit!
7. Accomplish One Task On The “To-Do List” – As long as you accomplish just one thing during your day, it was a day well spent. It can be the smallest thing, even if it’s just sending that one email or washing the toilet. Just one simple thing to cross of the list. It will feel good.
8. Sit For A Few Minutes With Just Your Thoughts – I would never be able to get through the day if I didn’t allow myself to just sit in silence with my thoughts. I do this multiple times throughout the day, but I need it and I’ve learned to really embrace it. I am very easily overly stimulated with the noise of the world stuck in my head and chest. I need to take a few minutes every so often to just be.
9. Feel The Ground As You Walk – I learned this one in my stress management class this semester. We are always in a rush to go-go-go. When we walk, we don’t just walk, but are probably going as fast as possible and doing other things while we’re walking. (If I had a dollar for the amount of texting-while-walking people who almost crash into me every day…). I challenge you to be mindful when you walk. Actually feel your feet hitting the ground, heel-toe. It feels good, it makes you aware of your own being and that you are a living person on this Earth.
10. Wake Early, Sleep Early (consistently!) – There is nothing worse than being exhausted from lack of sleep or from a non-existent sleep schedule. You need to go to sleep at a reasonable hour and wake at the same time every day (yes…even on weekends!). Plus, when you wake-up early and don’t hit the snooze, I’m telling you, your day will feel much longer, better, and brighter! (You don’t have to wake at 4:15 like me, but early enough to give yourself time to be at peace before the hustle of the day begins.)
So tell me:
+ Do you have any “musts” that you do to cultivate happiness each day?
+ Have you ever walked mindfully? We actually had to walk around our classroom, in our socks, for 30 minutes in silence…mindfully, when we were discussing this in class! I actually really enjoy feeling the ground as I walk.
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell