So today was my second day at my "Internship" at my assemblyman's office. When I got there, the girl who would be my "mentor" was there, thankfully, so I thought I would get more work to do, not like last time. Well I was wrong again. She told me "O, I think it will be slow today." Well what does that mean! It's an office not a store! So all I was given to do today was look on NJ.com for any new local event and things of interest. Then after an hour She told me to Edit an Excel sheet of the local municipality council members, their phone numbers, and emails. The sheet was all over the place and a lot was outdated. But fixing it was difficult since the computers they have are old, slow, and lock up....not user friendly. But I got that done then had an hour and a half left to just read the book I brought. Good Times...
I hope you had a more exciting day then I. It is so hot here in Jersey. It is at least 95°F right now, crazy! I wish I could go outside and soak up the sun, but it's just to hot. Okay I am done complaining today. So on to the title of my post. I don't eat candy. I just have no sweet tooth and just really don't like junk. But you know what is a super healthy delicious alternative? BEETS! I haven't made them in awhile but thought I would pick some up when I went grocery shopping for the week. All I do is roast them in the oven and bam! So good! They are subtly sweet, soft, colorful, and wonderful. I love making them in advance so they have time to get cold in the fridge. I love eating all my veggies cold so much more then warm or hot, ugh!
Simple Roasted Beets
- 1 Bunch of Beets (Try to get a bunch that are mostly uniform in size, for even cooking.)
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
First off if you are not making them the day you buy them, cut off the stalks right away so they last longer. Otherwise you can do this when you make them.
- After you cut the stalks off, wash the beets, then peel the outer "skin" with a veggie peeler.
- Then this might happen, so wash your hands. Haha, be careful not to wear light clothing if you messy with peeling. You can also put on gloves if you don't want to stain you hands but the stain doesn't last long, it washes off!
- Now wrap the each beet in a square of tin foil like so.
- And put them in the oven for about an hour or so. You can pull one out and see if a knife cuts through easily. If not leave them in longer.
- Once they are done let them stay wrapped and cool them on the counter for 20 minutes. Then you can open them up over a plate or cutting board (make sure you do this over something since there will be red beet juice in the foil that will most likely spill all over). Then just cut them up in to pieces the size you want.
- And done! This is where I like to cool them in the fridge for a few hours before eating. But that's just me. You can dig in right here, right now!
Do you have no sweet tooth like me or do you have to get you fix of candy/ dessert/ sugar? My mom has a MAJOR sweet tooth. She has tons of bags of Skittles, MnM's and various candy in the house at all times.
Do you like to eat your veggies cold or hot?