I like to think of myself as a yoga minimalist. I think you can get a great practice in with really just your body. That's all you need right? You technically don't even need a mat. I even like to go minimal with clothing. Just a sports bar and shorts will do. You'll never find me with a block and strap and the whole nine-yards. First of all, I've never needed a black or a strap to help me get into a pose (thank you flexibility!), but I do own two straps actually! There are some items that are nice to have and may make your practice easier, but nothing is essential. That's why yoga is for everyone. There is a type, style and "prop" for everyone and that differs for each and every person. Even though you don't "need" a mat, I choose to always use one. It feels like home to me. I like the cushion beneath my palms and feet. I also think the that bright yellow color of my mat just adds to the energy I am creating.
Here are some of my (non)essential yoga essentials that you may consider using or already use in your practice. I can go minimal, but when you have some nice perks, why not use them? They make me most comfortable and ensure that my practice will be top-notch.
1. Slip-Free Rosin from Aurorae ~ This stuff is fabulous! I always feel as though no matter how good my mat is, my hands just always get sweaty and slip when in downward-dog. Maybe it's just that my shoulder mobility is really great so my arms get really into it. But by sprinkling this rosin on the front of my mat, my hands never ever slip!
2. The Classic Yoga Mat (in Solar) from Aurorae ~ My solar colored yoga is one of my favorite things, not just yoga things. I love this mat so much and bring it with me everywhere! I'm sitting on it now as I type this post! If something ever happened to this mat...I would cry...big time. I picked the solar color because it means: "creative, inspiring, energy, warmth, family, stability, and compassion." All perfect beautiful words and characteristics!
3. My Laptop ~ This old HP has been my door into the yoga world. I always start my practice with at least 30 minutes of my own stretching, flow, and asana practice, but then I always use an online video as my real practice. My big 18in screen is perfect and it feels like I am actually in a class with my favorite teachers.
4. Comfortable Clothing ~ Like I said, minimal clothing is best for me. I love my Tasc Performance clothes the best and always feel really confident in them. Sports bra and capris are perfect. They are tight fitting and don't make me over heat. (Use the code: SANDS at checkout for a 25% discount!)
5. A Water Bottle ~ I need my water. I can not settle in to a practice if I don't have water near by. Even though I might not drink it until after I'm done, I need it there in case. It is totally a comfort thing, but I also don't want to pass out, haha! A sip of two during a quick mountain pose always does the trick!
6. Yoga Mat Cleaner from Lotus ~ I use my mat a lot and I want to keep it clean and in good condition. This cleaner smells pretty good compared to some others I have tried. It is eucalyptus mint which is supposed to promote a calming effect too! My mat still has a grayish stain where my feet always are in downward-dog and the like, but this spray cleans and kills any germs that are there. Plus it helps get old rosin cleaned out from the top of my mat! I also like using it after my mat has been outside on the grass. It always smells bad once I take it in, but this spray helps clean and freshen my mat right back up!
7. Rubber Hair Ties ~ My hair HAS to be up. I can not do yoga with my long hair flying in my face of getting in the way of my feet and hands. (It hurts to step on you hair and not realize it!). I like my hair bands with a rubber "sting" going over it so it stays in place. But I also have to put my hair in a bun since a pony is still to long. So first I get it in a pony, then twist it into a bun, put some bobby pins in, then twist another hair tie around. It always stays and gives me freedom from my hair mess!
That's really all I need for a perfect practice! But if I had to pick my number one thing, I would pick my mat. I would go naked if I could just have my mat. I think I need to give this bad boy a name...hm. Any ideas?
So tell me:
+ What are your (non)essential yoga essentials?
+ If you could have only one yoga item besides your body, what would it be?
+ Have you named your yoga mat? I'm thinking Luminance, Mr. Luminance!
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell