*This post is sponsored by iHerb. Thank you for supporting Strength and Sunshine and our partnerships!*
Sure, you could make classic cut-out sugar cookies for decorating, but no one can pass up one of the soft, cake-like, frosted gems that have been gracing grocery store shelves since 1994 from Lofthouse! Like a cake and a cookie all baked up into one delicious buttery, sweet, colorfully frosted treat! Can you still have this classic cookie even if you’re gluten-free, vegan, or have food allergies? Sure you can! With this easy copycat homemade version of the classic soft-baked frosted cookie, you’ll never have to miss out again!
Are these soft frosted gluten-free vegan sugar cookies to good to be true?
These soft frosted sugar cookies are begging to get the Strength and Sunshine treatment! A personal favorite cookie; if I were to have a sugar cookie, I’d want it to be Lofthouse-style! Whether you have celiac disease, food allergies, or happen to be vegan, you still deserve a good soft frosted sugar cookie during the holidays or when you need to celebrate those little moments in life (or when you just have the craving!) These cookies are gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free, dye-free, and top 8 allergy-free! No dairy, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, wheat, shellfish, fish, or sesame!
What are the ingredients in these soft frosted sugar cookies?
Luckily, we have iHerb to thank for quickly shipping us these free-from ingredients for the cookies! With over 5000 grocery products, many of which cater to our special dietary needs, and with shipping capabilities to over 150 countries, you’ll have no problem baking these cookies up for your next celebration! All simple ingredients, only 10 in total! For the soft cake-like sugar cookies: Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour, Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder, Granulated Swerve sweetener, vanilla extract, Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer, vegan/soy-free butter, and non-dairy milk! For the sweet dairy-free buttercream frosting: Confectioner Swerve sweetener, more vegan/soy-free butter, vanilla extract and then ColorKitchen’s natural food dyes and natural sprinkles!
Are these Lofthouse-style sugar cookies easy to bake?
They sure are! Simple ingredients and simple baking instructions! You just need to whip up your cookie dough, kneading the dough with your hands for these cookies! Forming about 12-14 (1 to 2 tablespoons each) cookie balls. Spacing them out on your baking sheet (I used two cookie sheets, as these cookies will spread out a bit), and baking them in the oven at 350°F for just 12 minutes! Cook them too long and they won’t be soft and cakey sugar cookies! You’ll need to let them cool completely on a wire rack which is the perfect time to whip up your frosting and choosing the colors you want your frosting to be! I divided the frosting in half between two bowls and used pink and blue for colors.
How do you decorate these frosted soft sugar cookies?
Now, you can frost the cookies by using a pastry bag, but again, let’s keep these cookies simple and easy peasy! I simply scooped some frosting on a butter knife and spread the frosting on smooth to the tops of the cooled sugar cookies. From mixing up the frosting to spreading it on the cookies, that’s the fun part and where you should enlist the kids to help! Who doesn’t love decorating cookies? (Just try not to eat all the frosting before you finish the cookies!) After you’re satisfied with your frosting skills, simply sprinkle on those natural allergy-free rainbow sprinkles! Pressing them in a bit will help them to stick!
How should you store these soft frosted gluten-free vegan sugar cookies?
These cookies store best in a closed container in the fridge. Don’t leave them out at room temperature if you’re not eating them right away. Which, I also suggest you eat them right away! These sugar cookies are not for making way in advance. Enjoy them fresh like you would a light, soft, airy cake! I know you won’t have a problem waiting too long to bite into these cookies anyway…
I really do think they should call these Lofthouse-style sugar cookies, cake cookies. A personal, mini, hand-held cake with endless colorful decorating possibilities! So easy to make, bake, decorate, and EAT! Gluten-Free, vegan, allergy-free and possible to make anywhere thanks to iHerb, what are you waiting for? Let’s heat up those ovens!
Lofthouse-Style Soft Frosted Gluten-Free Vegan Sugar Cookies
- For the Sugar Cookies:
- 2½ Cups Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 Cup Erythritol (or preferred granulated sweetener)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Prepared Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacement
- 1 Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Stick Vegan/Soy-Free Butter (softened)
- ¾ Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- For the Frosting:
- 4 Cups Confectioner Erythritol (or preferred powdered sugar)
- 1 Stick Vegan/Soy-Free Butter (softened)
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Choice of ColorKitchen Natural Food Dyes
- ColorKitchen Natural Rainbow Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, granulated erythritol, and baking powder.
- Next add the prepared egg replacement, vanilla, softened butter, and milk. Mix together to form a smooth thick batter and knead the dough with your hands as it comes together.
- On a parchment paper or Silpat lined baking sheet, space out 12 to 14 (1 to 2 tablespoon sized) cookie balls.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove and let cook on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, mix together the sweetener, softened butter, and vanilla. Divide the frosting into bowls (depending on the amount of colors you want to use) or leave the frosting in one bowl if using one color.
- Prepare the food colorings according to package directions and mix them into the uncolored frosting.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, use a butter/spreading knife to frost the tops of the cookies.
- Use sprinkles (or anything else you have to add!) to decorate the finished frosted cookies.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
I have a bonus for you! Since I want you to make these soft frosted gluten-free vegan sugar cookies STAT, iHerb is offering a discount off your entire order PLUS, if you’re a new customer, an additional $5 off a minimum $40 order by clicking here! Holiday cookie baking, here we come! You may need to order extra ingredients because I know you’ll want more than one batch of these soft frosted sugar cookies!
So tell me:
+ Are you a Lofthouse-style or old-fashioned cut-out sugar cookies kind of person?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine