A kid-friendly snack time favorite! Homemade Gluten-Free Teddy Grahams that are vegan, top-8 allergy-free, even sugar-free and whole grain! A recipe with options for different flavor variations, these adorable little bears with be gobbled up by little hands (and big ones too!)
Teddy Grahams were one of my favorite sweet snacks as a kid! I guess I had a thing for any cute snack with a face! There was the whole debate on which body part to bite off first. The ears, head (savage!), arms, legs; I usually started with the ears, the tummy was always last. There are different flavors of Teddy Grahams, like cinnamon, honey, cocoa, and chocolate chip. I was pretty classic and loved the cinnamon or honey ones best!
Are Teddy Grahams a snack or dessert? They’re 100% a snack, a “cookie” snack, but we always run into this categorizing problem when it comes to graham crackers. No matter what you deem them, the Strength and Sunshine version is healthy and nutritious, nonetheless! We celiac-approved them by using brown rice and teff (or buckwheat) flour and simply scaled these teddies off of the gluten-free graham cracker recipe.
You can see, with the above 2 photos, that these gluten-free Teddy Grahams require a bit of tedious love and care to make. The most important element you need to make these bears though, is THIS. Yes, the teddy bear cookie cutter is essential! You can’t have Teddy Grahams without…the teddy shape! You’ll be using the smallest cutter in that pack so you get the perfect iconic cookie size.
Not going to lie, it isn’t that tedious of work. They’re fun (and so cute!); kind of relaxing (like the goldfish) as you get in the flow of stamping the cutter, spacing them out on a Silpat, and using a tooth pick to make the eyes, mouth, and belly button! You may find that you have better face making skills than I have (I think my teddies look a wee bit scary…but still cute!)
As for the flavor variations you can use, they’re pretty much endless. This base recipe here is cinnamon (you can leave the cinnamon out and make them totally “base” and plain). But you can add honey, cocoa powder, mini chocolate chips, ginger, maple syrup, etc. What ever flavor fancies your taste buds, go for it! Follow the craving and get creative with your bears!
These Teddy Grahams are perfect for school lunches, after-school snacks, snacking at any time of day and any age! 😉 I mean, if you just put some in a bowl and pour some non-dairy milk in, you could have yourself some Teddy Graham cereal too (why not, right?)! When we use those whole grains and a touch of trusty Swerve, any baked good can fall into the breakfast category! And yes, you need to use teff (or buckwheat, which ever you have on hand) flour for these Teddies so you get the right brown bear color!
Homemade Gluten-Free Teddy Grahams
- 1 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- ½ Cup Teff Flour (or Buckwheat Flour)
- ⅓ Cup Erythritol (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 3 Tsp Vegan Butter (I use Melt)
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract*
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon*
- Other Optional Flavor Variations:
- 1 TB Honey
- 1 TB Maple Syrup
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (reduce brown rice flour to ¾ cup)
- ½ Tsp Ginger
- ½ Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 TB Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the Teddy Graham ingredients, as well as flavorings.
- Mix well to combine and knead the dough into a ball with your hands.
- Roll the dough out between sheets of parchment paper or two Silpats to about ¼ inch thickness.
- Use the smallest teddy bear cutter and cut out as many cookies as possible (re-rolling dough when necessary).
- Use a tooth pick to create eyes, mouths, and a belly button (making sure not to poke a hole all the way through the cookies).
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 7 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container to keep fresh.
YAY Teddy Grahams! “Copycat” Homemade Gluten-Free Teddy Grahams, to be exact! Safe for our little food allergy kiddos. No gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, not even coconut, corn, or sesame! I don’t know about you, but I’m glad we can all have our Teddy Grahams again and either relive the nostalgia or bring the childhood love to the little ones in our lives! Food is always more fun with faces and SMILES!
Make sure you snag your teddy bear cutter!
So tell me:
+ What was your favorite Teddy Graham flavor? There’s only 4: Cinnamon, Honey, Chocolate Chip, and Chocolate! Now with my recipe, there’s even more possibilities!
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell