Grab a spoon and dive into this warm, ooey gooey, Gluten-Free Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie! It’s vegan, grain-free and paleo, allergy-free, low in sugar, with crispy edges and a melty middle. A perfect healthier decadent dessert recipe for two; pair it with dairy-free ice cream or whipped cream for an ultimate sweet experience!
What’s better than a thick, ooey gooey, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie? How about one that’s baked in a mini cast iron skillet, topped with some vegan ice cream or whipped cream, and eaten with a spoon (and a friend…if they’re lucky!) Your gluten-free dessert dreams are about to come true and just because no one is ever left out here on Strength and Sunshine, this deep dish chocolate chip skillet cookie is vegan, paleo, allergy-free, grain-free, and sugar-free (minus the chocolate chips!)
What’s in a gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and allergy-free skillet cookie?
You won’t find any strange ingredients here, nor will you find any unhealthy processed fats and sugars! To make these delicious deep dish cookie grain-free, but also nut-free, you’ll be using cassava flour, which is a fantastic (in most cases) 1 to 1 flour replacement! Add in an egg replacement, some baking powder, Swerve brown “sugar” and granulated erythritol (sugar-free, people!), a touch of vanilla, a pat of vegan soy-free butter, and a nice hefty dose of dark chocolate chips!
How do you make a deep dish skillet cookie?
The magic is all in the pan! The 6.5 inch cast iron skillet, perfect for a deep dish chocolate chip cookie lovingly baked for two! The cast iron skillet is the perfect baking vessel for pressing in your prepared gluten-free chocolate chip cookie dough and baking it in the oven at 375°F for about 18-20 minutes. It allows for nice crisp and golden brown edges while keeping the center portion warm and ooey gooey. My favorite part about baking the skillet cookie right in the mini cast iron in that you serve it right there in the skillet! No need for serving dishes, just grab a spoon and dive deep into that deep dish decadence!
What should you serve with a chocolate chip skillet cookie?
Just like your classic chocolate chip cookie, something cold to contrast the warm “fresh from the oven” cookie seems like a good idea! You can keep things “Plain Jane” and go with a glass of non-dairy milk, but let’s get real! We’re talking melty vegan chocolate decadence here! Go grab your favorite vegan ice cream, vegan whipped cream, even homemade marshmallow fluff! Since this gluten-free skillet cookie serves two, you may want to decide with your partner how to top the cookie. Any pairing you decide to go with will be a delicious option, I mean, how could you ever go wrong?!
Bonus Points and Substitutions:
- You can use any type of vegan, allergy-free chocolate chips your heart desires! Mini chips, mega chunks, dark chocolate, etc.!
- You can always use normal brown sugar and granulated sugar if you don’t want to use erythritol.
- I use MELT vegan, soy-free butter sticks. You can use whatever butter sticks you’d like or even use straight up coconut oil.
- Want 2 individual portions? You can divide the cookie dough between two 3.5 inch cast iron skillets instead!
- Craving some raw cookie dough? Since this dough is grain-free, gluten-free, and vegan, you actually can eat the cookie dough after mixing it together and not have to worry about raw flour, raw eggs, or any off animal-based products! Go ahead! Lick the spoon!
Gluten-Free Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 1 Cup Cassava Flour
- 1 Prepared Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacement
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar-Style Erythritol (or preferred brown sugar sweetener)
- ¼ Cup Granulated Erythritol (or preferred granulated sweetener)
- 1 Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Stick (1/4 Cup) Vegan Soy-Free Butter (melted)
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips; mix and knead the dough together.
- Now add in the chocolate chips and mix the dough again to incorporate them.
- Press the cookie dough into a greased 6.5 inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake the cookie dough in the preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes.
- Serve right away while still warm with a scoop of vegan ice cream, whipped cream, or fluff!
Don’t you just want to dive right in? The melty chocolate goodness is unreal! Everything you could possibly love about a chocolate chip cookie, but bigger, better, and eaten with a spoon (my favorite way to eat baked goods!) The hardest decision you have now is who you’ll choose to share your deep dish chocolate chip skillet cookie creation with…maybe no one at all? I can’t blame you if you want this gluten-free vegan goodness all for yourself!
So tell me:
+ What’s your ideal chocolate chip cookie? Soft and chewy, please!
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine