A fun flavor combo for your favorite American cream-filled “cookie-pie-cake”! These Mini Gluten-Free Salted Caramel Chocolate Whoopie Pies are vegan, top-8 allergy-free, and a perfect adult & kid-friendly dessert recipe!
WHOOPIE PIES! I just love saying it (and eating them). Wikipedia says the Whoopie Pie has a contested origin/region. Between Pennsylvania, Maine, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. All we can say is they are an East Coast American delicacy! Wikipedia also describes a Whoopie Pie as a mash-up between a cookie, pie, and cake. Which, they totally are and pretty close to these “cookie pies“, just a whole lot more cakey!
Now, Whoopie Pies are one of those things that I’m pretty fuzzy on whether I’ve actually eaten (a real one) or not. They’ve always sounded SO appealing and delicious to me. Two soft cakey cookies with a creamy/marshmallowy filling? Sign me up, baby! I needed a gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and soy-free version, stat! Plus, this gave me another reason to whip up a batch of my favorite marshmallow fluff!
Where did the idea of salted caramel & chocolate come from? I wish I could tell you, but I do not remember (i.e. this recipe isn’t recently created!). Pretty sure it had something to do with the Cocomels Coconut Milk Caramels I had finally bought to try awhile ago. I used the original candies in this recipe, but apparently, they had an actual Sea Salt Caramel version too! Wish I’d have known! ….next time….there will always be a next time.
And the chocolate portion stemmed from the fact that Whoopie Pies MUST be chocolate. When I think of “Whoopie Pies” in my mind, all I see are chocolate cakes, not vanilla, not funfetti, not carrot cake, but CHOCOLATE. Sure, any flavor would probably be delicious, but if I was going to make my ultimate dream Whoopie Pie, it had to be all about the chocolate. The salted caramel is just the “icing” on the top.
These chocolate Whoopie Pies are a slightly smaller version that the “traditional”. Mini things are always cute and you can eat more than one while having it still be acceptable. They’d make a perfect fancier party treat for adults and kids alike! A sophisticated Whoopie Pie? Why not! Anything “salted” caramel and/or chocolate always has that fancy little pop to it, don’t you think? They sure taste “fancy” and decadent, but you don’t have to take my word for it…try them yourself!
Mini Salted Caramel Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- Cake Batter:
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free 1-To-1 Baking Flour
- ½ Cup Arrowroot Starch
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup Erythritol (or preferred granulated sweetener)
- 1 TB Psyllium Husk Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ¾ Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Batch of Sugar-Free Marshmallow Fluff
- Salted Caramel Topping:
- 1 Bag Cocomel's Original Coconut Caramels
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt (plus more for finishing the pies)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together, in order, all the cake batter ingredients until smooth.
- Place 1 tablespoon sized blobs on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. (You should end up with 22 blobs, for 11 pies).
- Bake the blobs 10 minutes, remove, and let cool completely.
- Now make the marshmallow filling as per instructions linked above.
- To make the salted caramel top, slowly microwave the caramels with the salt in the microwave until pliable.
- To make the Whoopie Pies, take one cake half, place a small about of fluff on the flat side, place another cake half on top to close it. Spread on a teaspoon or so of the caramel and sprinkle with additional sea salt, if desired. Repeat for the rest of the pies.
You kinda have to use your fingers to smooth on the caramel, depending on how easily you get it to melt. I also suggest you grease the bowl you melt the caramels in (easy clean up, my friends!). They are fun and a delicious sweet and salty combo to satisfy any and ALL cravings for something a little naughty, but a whole lot healthier! My dream Salted Caramel Chocolate Whoopie Pie SUCCESS!
So tell me:
+ Have you ever had a Whoopie Pie?
+ Do you live in a state that claims Whoopie Pie rights?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell