Vegans can have their omelettes too! With chickpea flour and spiked with nutritional yeast, this omelette has just as much protein as the egg version! A vegan chickpea flour omelette, gluten-free and soy-free, is a breakfast recipe to fuel you all day long!
***This post has been updated in June 2016. Original writing stands***
Vegans can eat anything. Well, let me restate that. They can eat any “recipe” as long it doesn’t contain any animal products. But you know what else is true? Every recipe can be adapted with substitutions to fit any diet. I am a firm believer in that and have been, ever since going gluten-free.
Just because a recipe calls for meat doesn’t mean you have to use it. Just swap it for beans, or if you can eat soy, maybe some tofu or tempeh. Just because an omelette is “traditionally” made with eggs, does not mean that a vegan can’t have an omelette. Omelette does not mean egglette. It means a hearty, satisfying, protein-packed breakfast. Am I right?
So I am here to prove you all non-believers wrong. Vegans can have omelettes and they are better than any egg-omelette out there 😉 What to swap the eggs with? Tofu? No…#soyallergy. But, hey, how about chickpea flour!
8g of quality protein in a single serving. Plus, it will leave you fueled all morning long. I didn’t forget the “cheese” either. How about some Nooch! Nutritional yeast basically makes this omelette have the same nutritional stats and protein as an egg omelette. Worried about not getting your B-12? Well, the Nooch has you covered there! I say this omelette has an egg omelette beat, hands-done!
Side note. The “American” and dictionary approved way to spell omelette is “omelet” and the traditional French/European (the regions that invented the dish) is spelled “omelette”. Since I think “omelette” looks prettier written out than “omelet”, let’s go with that! I feel like “omelet” is “stunted-looking”…
The technicalities! Regardless, chickpea flour is winning with all its glory in this OMELETTE recipe! The “king bean” has done it again and produced one delicious savory breakfast to enjoy any day of the week!
Vegan Chickpea Flour Omelette
- ¼ Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 TB Nutritional Yeast
- ½ Tsp Baking Power
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric
- ½ Tsp Chopped Chives or ¼ Tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ⅛ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer
- ¼ Cup + 1 TB Water
- Handful of any Leafy Greens (torn with hands)
- Any other veggies or filling you want!
- Optional Toppings: Salsa, Ketchup, Hot Sauce, Parsley, etc.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients except the greens and optional veggies.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Add more water if too thick. It should be pancake batter consistency (but not too runny).
- Meanwhile, heat a lightly oiled non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, pour the batter
inthe pan like you're making a pancake. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 3 minutes until the edges dry and bubbles form on the surface.
- Now add the greens and/or veggies to one half of the omelette and take a spatula to fold the omelette over in half and cook uncovered for 2 more minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a plate before topping with ketchup, salsa, hot sauce, etc.!
If you didn’t notice, this is a recipe for ketchup topping glory! Now go whip up a vegan chickpea flour omelette and feed your body healthly, delicious, fuel!
So tell me:
+ Omelet or Omelette?
+ Have you ever veganized a not so vegan-friendly recipe?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell