Thanksgiving is never complete without some of The Best Gluten-Free Vegan Stuffing! Impress your guests with this essential side dish recipe that’s safe for all food allergies, loved by all, and may just become the new star of the show!
***This post has been updated in October 2016. Original writing stands***
Even though I never end up watching the whole thing, I love having the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade turned on during Thanksgiving morning preparations! There is something so comforting and heartwarming about it (although I usually get pretty bored). That’s why just leaving the TV on, so I can just come in and out, catching glimpses of the parade is fine. You know what else is weird? So many people would love to see the parade in person but tend to live too far away. They would love to be an hour or so by train from NYC, like I am, here in Jersey, but I have absolutely no desire to watch it in person.
First off, the cold. How could you possibly stand in the cold that long! People get there the day before just to get a good spot! Then there is the restroom dilemma, eating dilemma, and just all the people. I hate crowds. That’s why you will never find me at a NYC event like the parade or in Times Square on New Year’s Eve. I hear some people just want to do it at least once, “for the experience“, but then you also hear about these people who have gone every year since they were 2. Crazy! I think the cold and the crowds would be the worst part. But maybe that’s the point? The crowds keep you warm, haha! But how do you get out of the city when it’s over?!
Well, all I know is I would much rather watch it on TV, in a nice warm house, with a nice warm robe, a hot mug of tea in hand, and putting the finishing touches on my T-Day dishes! And my favorite T-Day dish, that I’m so excited to dig into on Thursday is…my “famous” Gluten-Free Vegan Stuffing! I always place a special online order for the bread I use which yields the BEST for gluten-free bready results. I’ve used it every year for this stuffing since going gluten-free. The stuffing is also loaded with veggies and the savory smells and tastes of Thanksgiving and holidays. When this is baking in the oven you will be salivating…believe me 😉 The smell is incredible!
The Best Gluten-Free Vegan Stuffing
- 1 Loaf of Ener-G Light Brown Rice Bread
- 8 Hearts of Celery (chopped)
- 6 Large Carrots (chopped)
- 2 Cups of Chopped Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion (diced)
- ½ Cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1 TB Dried Rosemary (crushed)
- 1½ Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Sage
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Cup Water
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toast each slice of bread and place them on a plate to cool before roughly cutting them into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large heated pan, dry-saute the chopped celery, carrots, mushrooms, onions, parsley, along with garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, sage, and pepper, over medium heat until veggies soften and onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the ½ cup water to the pan, cover with a lid and cook 5 more minutes.
- Place cubed toast in a large mixing bowl. Add the sauteed vegetable mixture, and toss carefully to combine until all ingredients are incorporated and the bread is moist.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into a prepared 9x13 (3-quart) baking dish and cover with foil.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes.
This stuffing is loved by not only gluten-free eaters, but also full-on gluten eaters as well! We all know that to deprive anyone of this classic bready delight would be a tragedy, but now, no matter what food allergy or autoimmune disease you have, you can indulge! Everyone in my family loves and requests this dish and you know I’m more than happy to oblige! By the way, did you know that this stuffing should actually be called dressing? Stuffing is the word used for when you actually stuff the mixture in the turkey to cook. Dressing is the word you use when you bake it separately. But, my family has always called it stuffing, so I’ll stick with that 🙂
So tell me:
+ Have you ever been to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
+ Do you call it stuffing or dressing?
———————————————-Stay connected: Facebook: Strength and Sunshine Twitter: @RebeccaGF666 Instagram: rebeccagf666 Pinterest: RebeccaGF666 Bloglovin’: Strength and Sunshine Google+: Rebecca Pytell